Collingham and Linton in the Great War
On August 4th 1914, Great Britain declared war on Germany. During World War 1 over 8 million British men and women saw service
in the Forces, and over 950,000 died.
Every year at remembrancetide we honour the memories of the men and women who did not return home from the battles; but many did
return, having made significant and valuable contributions, and many of these suffered from the mental and physical effects of the war.
In 2018, as we approached the 100th anniversary of the end of the Great War, we wanted to mark the contributions of all these men and women.
Those who were killed, or died, during the war are named on the village war memorials, but there are no compiled lists of those who
returned. We have set a goal to try to create a list of men and women from the villages
of Collingham and Linton in Yorkshire who served their country during World War One.
Timeline of changes to this site
- March 2020 - 161 brief records now on-line. A few more detailed histories are now available. Work has also started on a statistics page to show when and where men served.
- October 2019 - 159 brief records now on-line. The longer task of providing much more detail for each man's service has now started. The continued search to identify the unknown men still continues.
- April 2019 - 152 brief records now on-line.
- January 2019 - after the rush of Remembrancetide we have completed records for 148 people on line. The new releases of pension records are also allowing us to identify some of our 'unknowns'
- October 2018 - 130 records now on line
- August 2018 - now over 100 records uploaded with some new updates and additions
- June 2018 - first 90 records uploaded
- March 2018 - first 80 brief records now uploaded - about half of our records now on line
- January 2018 - first 60 brief records now uploaded
- December 2017 - first 50 brief service details uploaded
- November 2017 - war memorial pages complete. Brief details of service available.
- October 2017 - population of war memorial pages listing details of the men who did not return
- September 2017 - web site set up