The village and civil parish of Collingham lies 2 miles (3 km) south east of Wetherby in West Yorkshire, on the River Wharfe. The current population (2011 census) is 2,991. Across the Wharfe, on its north bank, lies the smaller village of Linton. Before World War 1, Micklethwaite (now part of Wetherby) formed a part of the Collingham parish.
On the night of 2nd/3rd April 1911, a Census of England, Wales, the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man was taken. This was the last census before the First World War and so gives a useful comparison of the village size and also a list of the village's potential soldiers for the 1914-18 conflict. The census collected detailed information on the people who spent the night in each household, including their names, marital statuses, ages, occupations and birthplaces. It therefore forms an important record in trying to trace the men and women who may have fought in the War.
Analysis of the 1911 census shows that the population of the three villages was 740 people in 176 households, made up of 348 males and 392 females (see below)
Analysis of the age distribution (see below) suggests that there were 167 males aged bewteen 13 and 43, who might therefore be around military age during the war and who might form the recruits for the services from the villages.
Sadly no list of villagers who served has survived. The Collingham Parish Magazine provides a few names of those who had volunteered in 1914, but the list appears not to have been updated and has not survived - we are left to try to trace the names and histories of the villagers who served in World War 1 and the rest of this site tells some of their stories that we have pieced together.