This site commemorates the men and women of Collingham, Linton and Micklethwaite who served during World War 1.
Bisby, George William

Rank Gunner

Service Number 203929

Service Army

Battalion D Battery, 113 Brigade

Regiment Royal Field Artillery


George William Bisby was born in 1887 in Linton, the son of William and Hannah Maria Bisby. Norman was one of three children, along with his brother Herbert and sister Mary Heward Bisby.

On the 29th October 1908, George married Sarah Annie Fairey in Doncaster, and they went on to have two children, Bessie born in 1909 and Annie, born in 1911. Just after Annie's birth, George and his family were living at Sicklinghall, where George was a horseman on a farm.

George's service record has survived and so we can piece together his service. He enlisted in Harrogate on the 1st September 1916 but was not called up until the 1st January 1917 when he joined the Royal Field Artillery (RFA) at No 1 Depot in Newcastle. After some training he was posted on to 41 Battery of 2 reserve Brigade RFA on the 8th February 1917. George's military service was interrupted by a spell in hospital for most of June 1917 and he then spent a number of postings at 4 Reserve brigade, 40th Reserve brigade and 2C Reserve brigade. On the 11th May 1918, he was posted to the signaller training centre, before a posting to the British Expeditionary Force in France as a Gunner in C Battery, 165 Brigade RFA.

On the 15th October 1918, George appears to be back in the UK, serving at 4B Reserve brigade in Heytesbury.

After the war had ended, George's services were still needed, perhaps because of his horseman skills. On the 10th March 1919 he joined the 5th Army Animal Collection Camp before some UK leave from 15th to the 29th April 1919.

During summer 1919 he was posted to Cologne and at some time joined D Battery of 113 Brigade RFA. Another period of leave in the UK at the end of October 1919, was followed by a return to duty and then a spell in No. 5 General Hospital in early 1920.

George's army service ended in March 1920.

If you have any photographs or further details about this person we would be pleased to hear from you. Please contact us via: