This site commemorates the men and women of Collingham, Linton and Micklethwaite who served during World War 1.
Yeadon, John Bramley

Rank Gunner

Service Number 203943

Service Army

Battalion 61st Battery

Regiment Royal Field Artillery

Buried Harrogate


John Bramley Yeadon was born in Arthington in 1885 the son of John and Sarah Ann Yeadon. John (Snr) was a farmer and in 1911 was farming at Pool Hall in Wharfedale. John (Jnr) at that time was working on the farm.

John Bramley Yeadon enlisted on the 2nd September 1916 and gave his address as being in Collingham. He made an appeal due to ill health to the Wetherby Tribunal which was reported in The Wetherby News:

Wetherby News October 20th 1916

J.B. Yeadon, Collingham, 31, single, appealed on the ground of ill-health, caused by a rupture. Up to two years ago he was farming, but had to give it up on account of his health. He said he was agreeable to do light work on the land as far as possible. He had been passed for general service, but was under examination for only three minutes. Application refused.


Having lost his appeal, John was called up for service on the 17th January 1917 in Harrogate and the following day he attested for service in Newcastle to serve in the Royal Field Artillery.

After his initial military training, John left the UK by ship on the 26th August 1917 and sailed to the Middle East. He disembarked on the 18th October 1917 and the following day joined the Mesopotamia Expeditionary Force. After a few days, on the 27th October 1917 he was posted to 66 Brigade Royal Field Artillery (RFA) at Makina in Iraq. His service record shows that John was posted to Headquarters of 66 Field Artillery Brigade from 7th November 1917 until 10th January 1918 when he was posted to 61st Battery RFA.

On the 23rd March 1918, John was admitted to hospital and spent 6 days there before transferring to the Convalescence Depot of 31st British Stationary Hospital in Baghdad. He recovered and rejoined 61st Battery on the 1st May 1918. He was again admitted to hospital on the 16th November 1918 and spent another 7-8 weeks in hospital being discharged from No 3 British General Hospital on the 8th January 1919 when he was posted to Divisional Artillery Group of the 3rd Echelon.

On the 30th January 1919, John embarked on the SS Franz Ferdinand and sailed home, arriving in the UK on the 26th February 1919 and he was demobilised on the 5th March 1919 to Rosehurst Cottage, Pannal.

John returned to farming and by 1920 was at Weeton House, Weeton when he married Mary Frances Robson on the 2nd November 1920 in St Mark Church, Harrogate.

If you have any photographs or further details about this person we would be pleased to hear from you. Please contact us via: