This site commemorates the men and women of Collingham, Linton and Micklethwaite who served during World War 1. Today we especially commemorate Corporal 18282 Henry Reginald Hirst of the Royal Army Ordnance Corp who was born on this day in 1876.Today we especially commemorate 2nd Lieutenant Sidney Herbert Bray of the 8th Battalion West Yorkshire Regiment who died on this day in 1918.
Johnson, David Hillery

Rank and Unit at End of World War One

Rank Lance Corporal

Service Number 39046

Service Army

Battalion 32 Company

Regiment Machine Gun Corps

Other service during World War One
Information from Medal Index Cards (WO372), Medal Rolls (WO329), Service Records (WO363) and/or Pension Records (WO364) held by The National Archives.
Rank Number Unit
Private 15003 West Yorkshire Regiment
Pre-war Occupation*/marital status**

Trade or Occupation pre-war: Farm servant/errand boy
Marital status: Single

* Taken from attestation papers or 1911 census
** Marital status on enlistment or at start of war
Connection with Collingham, Linton or Micklethwaite and reason for inclusion on this web site
  • Born in Collingham, Linton or Micklethwaite
  • Named on printed lists of villagers in The Wetherby News or Collingham Parish Magazine


Family background

David Hillery Johnson was born on the 13th November 1895 in Collingham, the son of Henry and Sarah Ann Johnson. Henry and Sarah had about 13 children and six of these served during World War 1 - Albert (Navy), Walter (Bantams), Raymond, William, Alfred and David. The Johnson boys were some of the first from the village to enlist and serve.

Service record

David Johnson enlisted in Wetherby early in the war and joined the 9th Battalion West Yorkshire Regiment. This battalion was formed of many men from West Yorkshire and a large number of local men enlisted into this unit which formed part of the 11th Northern Division. Late August 1914 this Division began to assemble around Grantham and by 21st September 1914 the strength of the Division had reached 13,000 officers and men. At first the infantry of the 11th Division consisted entirely of north country battalions; later on, however, when the 6/East Yorkshire became the pioneer battalion its place was taken by a Wessex battalion – 5/Dorsetshire Battalion.

At first there was the usual shortage of clothing, equipment, and arms, leading to some discomfort and to considerable delay in training for war. Nevertheless, on the 18th October Field Marshall Earl Kitchener visited Grantham and inspected the infantry in Belton Park. Until the following April (1915) the Division remained scattered: infantry at Grantham, artillery at Leeds, Sheffield, Norwich and Weedon; engineers at Newark; field ambulances at Sheffield; train at Lichfield. Then on the 4th April 1915 the 11th Division began to move to its concentration area at Witley and Frensham, and final training was carried out and divisional operations undertaken.

On the 31st May 1915, H.M. the King inspected the 11th Division on Hankey Common, and on the 12th June orders were received that the Division was to be ready to leave at short notice for the Dardanelles. On the 30th June 1915 embarkation began at Liverpool, and the bulk of the Division sailed in the Aquitania and the Empress of Britain. On the 10th July the Aquitania with divisional headquarters and the 32nd Infantry Brigade reached Mudros. On the 23rd all headquarters and troops at Mudros left Lemnos and moved to Imbros, and the 11th Division completed concentration at Imbros on the 28th July.

The Dardanelles Campaign was conceived late in 1914 as a means to attack Constantinople and hence protect Egypt and the Suez Canal by effectively taking Turkey out of the war. At first the Navy tried to force their way through the narrows , but when this failed plans were made for British, Australian and New Zealand troops to make a series of landing on the Gallipoli peninsula while a French force would take part of the mainland. The Anzacs established themselves at Anzac cove, a steep cliff enclosed area with a gorge at the back and covered by scrub where progress inland was difficult in April 1915. The British, at the tip of the peninsula at Helles made more progress but suffered appalling casualties and were effectively pinned down in a series of trenches. Thus in August 1915 a new series of landings were planned for Suvla Bay. This area was thought to be poorly defended and it was hoped that these troops could link up with the Anzacs and break through towards Constantinople. The 9th Bn West Yorkshire Regiment was part the force earmarked for this action - the Suvla landings. Their orders were to land at the north end of B Beach and to seize Lala Baba. After that they were to press on via the Cut to Hill 10, followed by the other battalions of the brigade. On reaching Hill 10 the whole brigade was to come under Br.-Gen Sitwell’s orders to support an attack on the Chocolate Hills. The whole attack depended on surprise and the gaining of high ground around Suvla Plain before the Turks could bring reinforcements to the region. Unfortunately due to unclear, and rushed planning the men, who were the first of the volunteer army to go into action, and were therefore relatively inexperienced, were not well briefed as to their objectives.

During the attacks, David witnessed the death of his brother William Herbert Johnson on the 7th August 1915.

The Wetherby News of 10th September 1915, under the heading "COLLINGHAM SOLDIER KILLED: One of four brothers serving - One sees his death" reported William's death:

"Mr Henry Johnson of 3 Elmwood Terrace Collingham, on Saturday received an official intimation to the effect that his son Private William Henry Johnson of the 9th West Yorkshire regiment (Leeds Bantams) has been killed in the fighting on the Gallipoli Peninsula in August. Deceased, who was only 20 years of age was the youngest but one of four brothers serving in the army, and a pathetic feature of his death is the fact that his younger brother David took part in the same action and saw him fall, David having written to this effect. Prior to the war the deceased lad was in the employ of Mrs Cass, farmer, of Little Ribston."

David's service number (15003) was next to his brother's number (Walter Johnson (15004)) and another Collingham man, Allen Wilson (15004) who was also killed in the fighting in Gallipoli.

Another of David's brothers, Raymond Johnson, was also killed in the Great War

A number of articles in the Wetherby News of the time give accounts of the local soldiers' experiences in Gallipoli. View those reports here

David's service record has survived. This shows that after being evacuated from Gallipoli, David went with 9th Battalion West Yorkshire Regiment to the Egyptian Expeditionary force on about the 2nd February 1916. On the 21st February David transferred to the Machine Gun Corps (MGC) and received a new service number - 39046. He remained in Egypt with the MGC in 32 Company until the 25th June 1916 when he embarked in Alexandria en route to join the British Expeditionary Force in France. He disembarked in Marseilles on the 2nd July and headed for the Western Front. He served in France with 32 Company MGC until the 29th November 1916, when he was granted leave in the UK, returning to action on the 9th December 1916.

David continued to serve with 32 Company until the 27th July 1917 when he entered hospital. On the 1st August 1917 he was posted back to the UK and traveled on the 5th and 6th August, entering the 1st Western General Hospital on the 6th August suffering from gas poisoning. His record shows he was in hospital until the 5th September. David had a new posting on the 7th January 1918, but must have been granted some leave, as we find that he was awarded a punishment of 3days confined to barracks for overstaying his leave - instead of returning on the 21st Jan, he did not return until the 25th January.

On the 14th February 1918, David was posted to the Machine Gun School at Grantham, joining Machine Gun School Right Wing Coy. on the 17th February. Between the 14th and 16th April 1918, David joined 5 Reserve Battery MGC and was appointed Lance Corporal on the 24th April 1918.

At this point some of David's service record becomes hard to read, although we can see that he was reprimanded for absenting himself from camp on the 29th June 1918. In early July David was with 5 Reserve Battalion MGC in Grantham.

A few months later, on the 24th September 1918, David married Elsie Culvert in Leeds Registry Office.

David was finally sent to a dispersal centre on the 10th December 1918, and was discharged to Class Z reserve on the 9th January 1919.

After the war

After the war David returned to Collingham and by the time of the 1939 Registration Act was living at 34 Brookside, Collingham, and he was at the same address until 1960. We do not know when David died.

Biography last updated 21 January 2020 16:15:44.


1911 Census. The National Archives. Class RG14 Piece 25962
The Collingham Parish Magazine Dec 1914, Jan 1915, & Feb 1915
First World War Medal Index Cards. The National Archives (WO372).
First World War Medal Index Rolls. The National Archives (WO329).
First World War British Army Service Records. The National Archives (WO363).

If you have any photographs or further details about this person we would be pleased to hear from you. Please contact us via: