This site commemorates the men and women of Collingham, Linton and Micklethwaite who served during World War 1.
Hall, George

Rank and Unit at End of World War One

Rank Acting Sergeant

Service Number 95912

Service Army

Battalion B Bty, 71st Bde

Regiment Royal Field Artillery

Killed in Action: 6th August 1917

Buried Mendingham Military Cemetery

Pre-war Occupation*/marital status**

Trade or Occupation pre-war: Railway porter
Marital status: Single

* Taken from attestation papers or 1911 census
** Marital status on enlistment or at start of war
Connection with Collingham, Linton or Micklethwaite and reason for inclusion on this web site
  • Ex-service man who moved to Collingham, Linton or Micklethwaite after the war, or (in the case of service men who were killed in the war) whose family moved to the villages after the war.


George Hall is commemorated locally on the Kirk Deighton war memorial, but he is included here as his mother, Mrs SA Hall, claimed a pension, following George's death in the war, and gave her address as c/o The Vicarage, Collingham.

Family background

George was born on the 18th August 1892 in Kirk Deighton, the eldest son of William and Sarah Annie Hall. In 1901, the family had lived at 20 Street Houses, Kirk Deighton where William was a mason and bricklayer. George attended Kirk Deighton school from 1896 to 1906 when he would have been aged 14. George's father, William, died in 1905, and by 1911 George was living at Kirk Deighton with his widowed mother, and siblings William Arthur Hall and Phyllis Mona Hall. George was working as a railway porter.

Service record

George Hall served as Sergeant 95912 George Hall of B Battery 71st Brigade Royal Field Artillery. His medal index card tells us that he first went overseas on the 8th July 1915. 71st Brigade RFA was originally comprised of numbers 223, 224 and 225 Batteries RFA and the Brigade Ammunition Column. It was placed under command of the 15th (Scottish) Division and moved to France with it in July 1915, tying in well with the fact that George first went overseas at that time.

In 1915, the Division (inlcuding 71st Brigade RFA) took part in the Battle of Loos.

George Hall was admitted to 2nd General Hospital on the 17th February 1916 with an abscess on his ankle and returned to duty on the 22nd March 1916 when he returned to the Convalescent Depot. At the time of his admission he was with B Battery of 70th Brigade. Both 70th and 71st Brigade were in the same division and it seems likely that George was posted between these units at different times. For the rest of 1916, the Division took part in several major battles - they were involved in German gas attacks near Hulluch (27-29 April 1916) and in the defence of the Kink position (11 May 1916). They also took part in the Battles of the Somme, specifically The Battle of Pozieres, The Battle of Flers-Courcelette in which the Division captured Martinpuich and The Battle of Le Transloy in which the Division took part in attacks on the Butte de Warlencourt. In 1917 the Division was involved in the Arras Offensive, including The First Battle of the Scarpe, and The Second Battle of the Scarpe in which the Division captured Guemappe. Later in the year they were involved in Third Battles of Ypres at The Battle of Pilckem Ridge (31st July - 2 August 1917). During this battle George Hall died of wounds, on the 6th August 1917. George is buried in Mendingham Military Cemetery, Belgium.

The Wetherby News gave some details of his death:

Wetherby News September 14th 1917

The Late Sergt. G. Hall.

Mrs. Hall, who now resides at Harrogate, and the mother of the late Sergeant George Hall, Kirk Deighton, of the Royal Field Artillery, has received a letter, of which the following is a copy, from Army Chaplain F.G. Walmsley.
"Dear Madam, - I am very sorry to tell you that your son, Sergeant G. Hall, R.F.A., was brought in to this hospital on Sunday, August 5th, with gunshot wounds in his head, ankle, and buttock. He was very collapsed. Everything possible was done to restore him, but he only lived through the night, and passed peacefully away on the 6th at 7.50a. He did not suffer much. I visited him soon after he was brought in. He was semi-conscious, but just able to give me your address and send his love. He had to be kept very quiet. I commended his soul to God in prayer, and he tried to repeat "Abide with me." I laid his body to rest on the 6th in Mendingham Military Cemetery. If you write to the G.R.A., War Office they will, if possible, give you a photograph of his grave later. Mention date and place of burial, with his name. Any personal belongings that may have been recovered will be returned to you from the Base in a month or two's time. No need to apply - they are sent to the next of kin. I am sure you must have lost a good son, and our sympathy is with you. He has nobly given his life for the great cause, with so many others. Try and be as brave as possible, with the help of God, as he was, and for his sake. He has fought and overcome. I have told you all I know of the few hours he was with us. You will hear officially, but I thought you would like to hear from me as well."


Biography last updated 09 February 2020 17:49:52.


1911 Census. The National Archives. Class RG14 Piece 25946
The Wetherby News 14/9/1917
First World War Medal Index Cards. The National Archives (WO372).
First World War Medal Index Rolls. The National Archives (WO329).
Commonwealth War Graves Commission Cemetery and Burial Reports
Pension Record Cards and Ledgers. Case number 4/D/4273

If you have any photographs or further details about this person we would be pleased to hear from you. Please contact us via: