This site commemorates the men and women of Collingham, Linton and Micklethwaite who served during World War 1.
Waddington, George Gordon

Rank and Unit at End of World War One

Rank Major

Service Army

Battalion 86 Siege Battery

Regiment Royal Garrison Artillery

Other service during World War One
Information from Medal Index Cards (WO372), Medal Rolls (WO329), Service Records (WO363) and/or Pension Records (WO364) held by The National Archives.
Rank Number Unit
Lieutenant Royal Garrison Artillery
Pre-war Occupation*/marital status**

Trade or Occupation pre-war: Railway metallurgist
Marital status: Single

* Taken from attestation papers or 1911 census
** Marital status on enlistment or at start of war
Connection with Collingham, Linton or Micklethwaite and reason for inclusion on this web site
  • Lived in Collingham, Linton or Micklethwaite immediately prewar or during the war
  • Named on printed lists of villagers in The Wetherby News or Collingham Parish Magazine
  • Named as an Absent Voter due to Naval or Military Service on the 1918 or 1919 Absent Voter list for Collingham, Linton or Micklethwaite


Family background

George Gordon Waddington was born in Bradford on the 29th December 1883, the son of Charles Edwin Waddington and his wife Mary, and the older brother of Charles Grimshaw Waddington also listed on these pages.

George was educated at Bradford Grammar School and the Technical College of Engineering in Bradford and was also a member of the Leeds University Officer Training Corps.

By 1911, George was living in Langwith Park, Collingham with his brother, Charles and sisters Doris and Barbara and a general domestic servant, Minnie Haller. George gave his trade as a professional metallurgist working for the railway.

Service record

George's war-time service started in 1914, on 10th November, and his name was included on some of the early lists of volunteers published in the Wetherby News and the parish magazine. George served in the Royal Garrison Artillery (RGA), rising to the rank of Major. We believe George served in Nos 2, 10, 30, 86 and 444 Siege Batteries, RGA and was at some stage involved in the coastal defence of Portsmouth.

Some details have survived of his service record. After joining as a Temporary Lieutenant, George first served overseas from the 5th September 1915. George transferred to 2 Siege Battery from 10 Siege Battery on the 1st October 1915. Around this time George suffered from a bout of influenza and was admitted to hospital. Soon after rejoining his unit, George was posted, on the 10th December 1915 to 30 Siege Bty RGA.

Early in 1916, from the 13th January to the 23rd January, George was granted leave to the UK, but due to medical ground this leave was extended until the 28th January 1916. On the 5th June 1916, George was transferred again, this time to Headquarters of No. 32 Heavy Artillery Group and was appointed as Adjutant.

The next noteworthy information in George's record is that he was diagnosed as suffering from a nervous disability (on the 25th October 1916) and he was invalided back to the UK on the 1st November 1916 with neurasthemia and was granted leave until 9th January 1917. After a medical board on the 1st February 1917, George was posted to 373 Siege Battery RGA on the 12th April 1917. On the 24th of the same month, he was promoted to Acting Captain and on the 18th September 1917 to Temporary Captain.

At the end of that year, on the 10th December 1917, George embarked with his unit at Southampton, disembarking the following day in Le Havre.

On the 29th April 1918, George was attached to IV Corps Heavy Artillery until the 10th May 1918, and he rejoined his unit on the 7th June 1918. On the 12th August 1918, George spent another short period of time (until 28th August) on leave in the UK.

After the end of the war, George was awarded the Military Cross in the New Year's Honours list of 1919. George continued in the Army, reaching the rank of Major, until he was demobilised on the 15th February 1919.

After the war

George returned to Collingham, living in The Avenue in 1939. George died on the 29th August 1940.

The Yorkshire Observer August 30th 1940



Major G. G. Waddington, M.C., who died yesterday at his home at Collingham Bridge, near Leeds, at the age of 58, bequeathed his body to the Leeds Medical School, and the offer has been accepted. A "Yorkshire Observer" reporter was told at the school yesterday that it had been known for some time that Major Waddington had desired that his body should be disposed of in that manner.
Major Waddington was the son of a former Bradford doctor, and was a great admirer of Napoleon, and he wanted to follow Napoleon's historic example.
Major Waddington was a bachelor, and was latterly a horticultural specialist, although before the last war, in which he won the Military Cross, he was a metallurgical chemist.


Biography last updated 20 February 2021 16:33:55.

Family Tree

Only parents and siblings are shown. Those who served are outlined in blue.
Those who died as a result of the war are outlined in black.

  • Charles Edwin
    b. Bradford
    1855 - 1907
    Mary Ellen
    b. Bradford
    1862 - 1951
    • George Gordon
      1884 - 1940
    • Charles Grimshaw
      1885 - 1936
    • Doris
      1889 -
    • Barbara
      1906 -


1911 Census. The National Archives. Class RG14 Piece 25962
The Collingham Parish Magazine Dec 1914, Jan 1915, & Feb 1915
First World War Medal Index Cards. The National Archives (WO372).
First World War Medal Index Rolls. The National Archives (WO329).
First World War Officer's Service Records WO339/20978 The National Archives.

If you have any photographs or further details about this person we would be pleased to hear from you. Please contact us via: